Olympia Monthly Meeting of the Religious Society of Friends (Quakers) pledges to support immigrants in our larger community, particularly those who face unjust criminalization, detention, and deportation. We will work to defend and protect individuals, families, and communities affected by unjust policies and to protest the enactment of these policies.
Our Quaker testimonies of equality, community, and peace lead us to honor the worth and dignity of each individual, regardless of immigration status. We will encourage members of our Quaker community to engage in the sanctuary movement, providing support in the following ways, as we are able and led:
- Accompanying immigrants to Immigration & Customs Enforcement (ICE) hearings and to court, and writing letters of support.
- Organizing for the enactment of just immigration policies.
- Resisting unjust policies, including efforts to remove Sanctuary status from our city and state.
- Supporting faith communities that offer physical sanctuary and individuals living in places of sanctuary.
- Providing financial assistance, material support, and other contributions as requested by the immigrant community.
- Rapid Response, such as being present in places of ICE activity.
We will work in partnership with our immigrant communities and leaders and with the South Sound Faith Network for Immigration and Refugee Support and other like-minded groups.
This Minute is available in PDF format here.